So last night for the activity for my group's FHE we headed up to Rock Canyon here in Provo for a "small little hike." This ended up being a hike of at least a mile up and a mile back (not that I can't handle that but when you have something to get back to and it's getting dark outside this is not a short hike at all). Anyway, I had a good time talking to some people I didn't know all that well so it was fun. When we got up to where we were going they made us group up in fours and write a poem pulling from the inspiration we just received from nature. So my group decided we would each come up with a line at a time and see what came of our inspiration. Without further adieu, here it is:
Do you see a star
Beyond these dungenous walls
Made of rocks and trees?
I hope the rocks don't kill me.
Whilst in this dreary wasteland,
Our guiding light is dying
Like a fish in the sharks teeth.
Awake! My dying soul.
I wouldn't fancy msyelf as a poet extraordinaire or as a dark person but that is how it turned out and I must say, I feel like it is quite the powerful poem.
We had our poems judged by two straggler members of our group who arrived just as we were finishing the poem and by some creepy homeless mountain wanderer named Backpack John. This random guy named John started talking to us when we got up there and was really creepy. He had a huge backpack but was apparently only going as far up as we had gone so I have no idea what he had in the pack of his but when we asked him to help judge our poetry competition he kept trying to persuade us to come over to his little outpost where the wind would be blocked and we could start a campfire if we wanted to....creepy? I thought for sure he had guns and bombs in his pack and he was going to slaughter us all right there but he didn't. He was quite talkative but turned out to be a pretty good judge of poetry. Depending on which of the three judges you asked we won, took 2nd of three, and took 3rd so....but it was oddly fun. Not a bad FHE outing.
PS - I'm not depressed or sad in any way despite what the poem may say to you. As a group we just happened to come up with some pretty dreary lines. And as for Backpack John, if you do stumble across this blog please don't find me and kill me.
1 comment:
Aww Josh! I miss you cous! Sounds like you had quite the adventure! I liked your poem, and as for creepy stalker John......good luck with that!
Post a Comment